In 12 days (Sunday, May 6) I'll be once again participating in Project Bread's Walk for Hunger. This will be my 21st Walk, and as you can probably guess, it's something I look forward to every year.
The money that I raise by walking the full 20-mile route supports more than 450 emergency food programs in 129 communities in Massachusetts. Every dollar counts for the children, elderly, and disabled individuals who do not have enough food to get through the week.
- $20 provides 40 people at a soup kitchen with a bowl of hot soup and a sandwich.
- $50 provides 100 people at an emergency food program with a bowl of hot soup & a sandwich.
- $100 provides a week's supply of groceries for five families.
- $500 allows a community health center to provide immediate food assistance to 25 hungry families.
- $1000 permits a food pantry to give a week's supply of groceries to 50 families in need.