Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Tom Fox

I've been meaning to post this for a week now.

Christian Peacemaker Teams (CPT) member Tom Fox, along with three of his colleagues - Harmeet Sooden, Jim Loney and Norman Kember, was abducted on November 26, 2005. His body was found on March 10, 2006; he'd been murdered. His teammates are still missing, held hostage by the people who took him, and there's been no word on how they are, as far as I know.

Tom's blog: Waiting in the Light
CPT photo gallery: http://www.cpt.org/gallery/
Memorial for Tom on CPT site: http://www.cpt.org/memorial/tomfox/main.php
Letter from Sheila* to Tom: I want you all to know him more
from AP, 3/11/2006: Quakers Remember U.S. Hostage's Mission

I wanted to make a little list of sites for others to visit, to learn about Tom Fox and about the group he worked with. I wanted to post quickly so anyone who's surfing through or stopping by my site to see what's up with me will see the little collection of links and will hopefully visit them, read through them, and if not, then, in the very least, I hope whoever stops by will take one moment to remember Tom and all the others who've been kidnapped or tortured in Iraq & elsewhere, remember their families and friends. What I ask is that you think about the people. not the governments, not the war. Think about the people living there, dying there, the family & friends left behind. Soldiers, police, peace activists, shopkeepers, taxi drivers, children in the street .. I think many of us tend to forget that each of those people has a face, a family, a story of his or her own. In the news, it all blurs, and everyone on all sides becomes nameless and faceless. It's not done on purpose, but it makes it easier for the rest of us to forget and for some of us (on any & all sides of an issue) to place blame and to hate the others. We're all others. It just depends on what side of the fence you're standing on.

Please take a moment to read through, look at the photos and reflect.

* I just read an email from my friend Sheila*, a former CPTer who knew Tom while she was over in Iraq. She's decided to return to Iraq for a month to help out the CPTeams in Baghdad because of staffing problems and to relieve the current team that's there. Please keep her in your thoughts. Thanks. :)

No comments: