Tuesday, February 14, 2006

St. Valentine's Day

My little neice called earlier to wish us a happy Valentine's Day or, more precisely, "Happy Christmas Tree Valentine's Day"! *g*

I actually didn't remember it was Valentine's Day for most of the day except when others reminded me. I've never been involved with anyone on this holiday so I've never really celebrated it. My mom, however, gave me a box of chocolate. :) So yay for chocolate! :D

I thought I'd post a few links on the history of Valentine's Day for anyone who's ever wondered. The History Channel's site has fun trivia facts among other things. Did you know there were 192 million Valentine’s Day cards exchanged annually? Well, according to The History Channel's site, there were.

This site has interesting tidbits, too, including a section on Valentine traditions. For example, in Wales wooden love spoons were carved and given as gifts on February 14th. It doesn't say when this was a tradition so it might not be in practice anymore.

AmericanCatholic.org gives a little history as well.

Of course, Wikipedia has a section on St. Valentine's Day, too.

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments: