Friday, October 16, 2009

Things I'm Thinking

* My friend C.'s house burned down the other day. I know I say that matter-of-factly, but really, it is a matter of fact. She posted yesterday about it on her FB status. She and her family are okay, but they lost most of their possessions. Someone in her neighborhood recorded part of it and posted it on * youtube. C. posted the youtube video on FB so here it is. :(
Fire on Austin Street
She's an old friend from high school and hasn't mentioned yet what she and her family need, but I there are a number of people who are ready to help out.

* "Get a life." This is what a person told me last month before trying to set me up with her mailman. I think her exact words were along the lines of "You have no life. You're always working. Would you like a life? I want you to meet my mailman. He's looking to meet someone. You should meet him and get a life." She said this to me at work, as nicely as can be. I know it was said with the best of intentions, but really, how am I supposed to respond to that? And tell me, how does one get a life after so many years of not having one? Apparently, if I get set up, I will suddenly have a life. But, there's that sticky point of "You're always working." Hm.

* On a brighter note, I might have Saturday, October 24 off so I can go to The Boston Book Festival. Yay! :) Then again, history tends to repeat itself so I'm not holding my breath yet. (See previous paragraph re: no life.) ;)

* I had such high hopes for October, but the month is almost over and .. I've yet to plot out this year's nanonovel. Among the many other things I planned to do this month. ;)

I hope The Boston Book Festival will work out. At least I will have done something this month. :)

* Oh! Another thing someone said to me just the other day. Again, at work. There are more acorns on the ground than usual & earlier than usual. She explained that this is nature's way of getting the squirrels ready for the long winter ahead. That's not exactly how she put it, but that's basically what she meant. She was implying that extra, early acorns mean a longer winter ahead. Makes sense; it sure feels like winter's starting. :) What I want to know is why can't nature set out boxes of chocolate, fluffy sweaters & hot cocoa for me in my backyard to get *me* ready for the long winter ahead? Way to play favorites, Mother Nature. ;p

* Last, but not least, Solomon Kane trailer!! Looks good. I'll now have to read the Howard books in my dad's closet. :)

No comments: